FPS Cap

Post about any issues, bugs, or glitches that you have experienced!

FPS Cap

PostPosted by leaty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi! I was all very excited to try this game, until I actually tried running it. I'm sure the game is fine, but I really, REALLY can't bare looking at 30fps with a 144hz monitor. Not that it looks worse than a standard 60hz monitor, it's just that I'm used to 300+ fps. Because I'm used to extremely smooth gameplay, to me it looks like the game is lagging like mad - it's unplayable for me. I quit immediately and began googling away for any hints on removing the fps cap, but I found none. So here I am, asking for a bit of help of getting this to run smooth.

Thanks,
Mattias
leaty

Re: FPS Cap

PostPosted by bhklingler » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey Mattias. The cap was enforced to ensure a consistent experience among a wider variety of machines. Depending on your system, removing the cap may produce drastic increases and decreases in framerate throughout the game.

We are still uncertain if we will allow for an in-game way of doing this, as there appears to be some strange side-effects of doing so; however, if you want to manually do this yourself right now, you can simply follow the steps below:

:arrow: Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Kraven Manor\UDKGame\Config.

:arrow: Open the file DefaultEngine.ini.

:arrow: Scroll down to the bottom to the third-from-last section, entitled [Engine.GameEngine].

:arrow: Where it says bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE, change that to bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE.

:arrow: (Optional) In the same directory, delete the file UDKEngine.ini. Once you start the game, this file will be auto-generated based off of DefaultEngine.ini.

:arrow: Open up the game and the frame cap should be removed.
Let me know if you run into any issues or need anything else!
bhklingler
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

PostPosted by leaty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 am

I actually tried that before, but I went into the UDKEngine file directly, which didn't do much. With that file it instantly worked. It's so much better now, getting a constant 120-150 fps. No lag visible during any of the frame drops due to the high framerate.

Thanks for the support!
leaty

PostPosted by bhklingler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Quick update on this: We can officially announce now that our next release will have the easy ability to remove the frame cap, among other things!
bhklingler
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

PostPosted by jeffnai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm

i'm with the same issue here bro...
my pc config : Intel I3
Geforce 8400GS 512mb
mem : 4GB RAM.
as you can see in the screens below is impossible to play. please help if u can.
jeffnai

PostPosted by jeffnai » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 pm

the problem is fixed now! i've bought another video card and everything's fine!
jeffnai

Return to Issues